Graves County Schools’ Board of Education unanimously approved applications for 30 students to retake the 2020-21 school year as part of Senate Bill 128’s Supplemental School Year program.
Superintendent Matthew Madding said 20 high school students, six middle school students and four elementary school students have volunteered to retake the school year and make up for any potential learning lost due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“If people want to take classes over and there’s an opportunity for them to gain better understanding in learning, then we should allow that to occur,” Board Chair Kelly Thurman said.
Senate Bill 128, which was signed into law by Gov. Andy Beshear on March 24, allows any K-12 student that applied before May 1 to retake the current school year. Though the deadline has passed, Madding said that students and their parents can still petition the board to retake the current year, but it would be on a case-by-case basis and at the board’s discretion.
Also at Thursday’s meeting, the board voted 4-1 to approve the latest Draft Facilities Plan after it came back from the Kentucky Department of Education. This latest draft has Lowes Elementary School classified as a transitional school and Graves County Middle School as the sole priority one facility. Board member Kenneth House was the only dissenting vote, having voted against Lowes’ closure earlier this year.
Back in March, the board voted 4-1 to permanently close Lowes Elementary by the end of the district’s current fiscal year, which is June 30, 2021.
The board also scheduled a public hearing to discuss the latest draft for 5:30 p.m. on June 17. Mark Rogers was selected to be the public hearing officer.
Madding said there were no comments from KDE on the latest draft.
The Graves County Board of Education also took action on a number of other items, including:
- Approved an amended 2021-22 school calendar.
- Approved the surplus of a washer, dryer and cafeteria slicer.
- Approved Michael Harris to be the auctioneer of a surplus sale.
- Approved the student activity fund annual budgets for the 2021-22 school year.
- Approved a fidelity bond renewal.
- Approved depository bonds.
- Approved to bid out for copier paper.
- Approved to bid out for fuel.
- Selected RossTarrant Architects for the Farmington Elementary cafeteria and Wingo Elementary roof projects.
- Approved each BG-1 for the Farmington Cafeteria project and the Wingo roof project.
- Approved moving a board workshop meeting to June 3.