Announcements A Graves County grand jury indicted three people charged in connection with a fatal drive-by shooting Friday and added additional charges for two of them.

Stanford Shelton was indicted on charges of murder, complicity to attempted murder, convicted felon in possession of a handgun and first-degree persistent felony offender, according to records Graves County Commonwealth Attorney Richie Kemp provided.

Dimetri Ross was indicted on charges of complicity to murder, attempted murder and convicted felon in possession of a handgun. Hayden Dunigan was charged with facilitation to murder.

The grand jury added the charges of convicted felon in possession of a handgun for both Shelton and Ross after receiving information about previous felony convictions, Kemp said.

In 2017, Shelton was convicted of tampering with a witness and sentenced to a year in jail. In 2011, he had been convicted of two counts of first-degree wanton endangerment as well as one count of second-degree assault. He received a five-year prison sentence on the assault conviction and one year each on the wanton endangerment convictions, Kemp said. All the previous convictions were from Graves County.

Ross was convicted of possession of a controlled substance (first-degree) and tampering with physical evidence in Fulton Circuit Court in 2011. He received a two-year sentence.

Even though both Shelton and Ross have past felonies, the reason only Shelton is charged with being a persistent felony offender has to do with the timing of the offenses and the way in which the statute is written, according to Assistant Commonwealth Attorney J.J. Beasley. To be charged as a persistent felony offender in Kentucky, a defendant must have been charged with a new offense less than five years after being released from legal supervision in a past felony case. The offense is then heightened to the first-degree level if the defendant also has additional felony convictions, regardless of when they took place, Beasley said.

Ross completed parole supervision in his offenses in 2013 and was not charged again until 2019, six years later.

All of the offenses have to do with shootings at a duplex in the 700 block of West Lee Street. Ross' attempted murder indictment and Shelton's complicity to attempted murder indictment concern shots fired in May into the end of the duplex where Jerrod Powell lived. Powell was not hurt.

According to previous testimony from Mayfield police Det. Nathan Young, police believe Shelton was driving that night and that Ross fired those shots. One witness told investigators that Shelton gave the gun to Ross to use, Young said.

The murder and complicity to murder charges concern the June 18 shooting death of SaVannah Hancock, who lived in the other end of the same duplex. Young testified at a separate hearing that police believe Shelton fired the shot that went through Hancock's door and hit her in the neck, fatally injuring her.

Young said the June shooting was Ross' idea, adding that a witness told him Ross told another person to take them by Powell's house to pick something up. Powell was the intended victim in that case as well, Young said.

Young has also said that Dunigan, who previously dated Ross, had been riding in a vehicle with Ross and Shelton the night Hancock was shot.

Young has said multiple times, including in court testimony, that the shootings were the result of a leadership dispute amid the Mayfield faction of the Vice Lords gang. Shelton's mother, Jennifer Shelton, has publicly contended he is not and has never been in any gang.

Both Shelton and Ross remained in custody at the Graves County Jail on Friday under $500,000 cash bonds.

Dunigan was previously released from the jail on a $25,000 surety bond prosecutors lowered her original charge, which had been complicity to murder. In a surety bond, a person may sign a defendant out of jail by taking responsibility for the person. He or she does not have to pay the amount unless the person does not abide by the court's conditions, including making all scheduled court appearances.

Dunigan spent a month on the run from police before she turned herself in Aug. 22 at the Mayfield Police Department.